Wednesday, August 28, 2013

What's the point of Blogging?

Hello Sociology, and Psychology Students,

The purpose of blogging across all of my classes is to provide each of you a personal communication outlet so that you can share your perspective on various aspects of our curriculum.  It is very difficult to hear from each of you in a whole class discussion but obviously we each have something important to say on the course topics.  Your blogs will allow all voices to creatively express opinions on a variety of issues and to do it with a personal and unique approach.  Your blog will offer you choices in how you respond and allow you to show me that there are many correct answers to our essential questions.  Multiple assessments will be carried out by using your blog to communicate and publish your understanding of the curriculum.  


Expectations:
Please watch the video and review the ten suggestions printed below.  Your assignment is to reply to this blog post and answer the following question.  What is your greatest concern in becoming a blogger?



Ten More Things to keep in mind...

  1. Use correct grammar so people understand you. Don't shorten words like you do when you text. For example, write “why” instead of “y”.  It is expected that you will always follow netiquette whenever you post or link to resources.

  1. Blogging teaches you how to be a better writer by the sheer act of having you write, reflect, and publish.  A bonus is that it will help develop your typing skills! :-)

  1. Please appreciate those who take the time to comment on your blog and reply to those posts so that they will return to your blog. This creates an interactive conversation which helps both people to learn more on the topic being discussed.

  1. Write appropriate blog posts and remember that this blog is not your Facebook page.

  1. When you submit a post to a peer's blog, it is important to be positive and not attack them.  For example, don't write, "This is the worst blog ever!" or " your opinion is really stupid."  The best rule to follow is, " If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything."

  1. Don't provide any identifying information like your last name, where you live, what school you go to for internet safety. If you do that someone may be able to locate you and I would like to start out with a more secure environment for all.

  1. I expect you to be creative, thoughtful, and tolerant.  These blogs should reflect your own views regarding the topics we discuss but maintain a respectful approach so that all feel welcome to openly discuss differing points of view.

  1. Don't post pictures of yourself. This is for safety reasons. You want to try to limit the amount of personal information about yourself. By not posting a picture of your face, people are not able to try to look for you. They do not need any information other than what you choose to share on your blog. It also makes the blog a little more interesting in that it creates some mystery.  Remember this isn't a Facebook page and please don't link it to your personal world.

  1. When you create posts and comments, ask questions to keep the conversation going.  Asking and answering questions makes the blog more popular, interactive, and informative.  Your learning comes from the synthesis of various ideas created in the discussion.

  1. Have some fun and add useful and appropriate gadgets that make your blog more interesting. The design of your blog should grab the reader's attention and make them want to look around your site for more information.  Go for the WOW factor yet remember that too much can be distracting to the reader.

43 comments:

  1. I do not have any concerns about taking this class or blogging. I would like to go more into depth of psychology and sociology to help my majoring next year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Campbell

    As I have already taken a Sociology course and am Familiar with Blogging and the Blogger site I don't have any concerns. I hope to continue doing good work and becoming more comfortable with the material.

    Thanks

    Makayla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a little concerned with blogging due to the fact that this will be my first time interacting with a blog. I have always been worried about what people think of what I say, so I normally don't say a whole lot. However, I believe that this will be a way for me to open up and not be so worried about the judgment from others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very familiar with blogging and how important it is to make it look visually appealing, as well as being grammatically correct when creating a post. I have no concerns with with blogs, because I have one myself. My goal, however, is to improve upon blogging skills, in addition to engaging the reader and provoking thoughtful conversations with whatever I post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I happen to already be familiar with blogging. I guess my only concern would be that on this type of blog I know most of the people on it who are looking at my things, and I see them quite often, opposed to tumblr where the people who follow you and go on your page usually live halfway across the world. Other than that I am comfortable with blogging and willing to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never blogged before so I do not know about how much work it will take setting it up and making it user friendly. Even when I get that done, I am concerned about people coming to the blog and not responding to any of the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have almost no concern with blogging. I am fairly comfortable with it and I can find my way around a blog very well. The only concern I have with it is that I will not enjoy it. I personally enjoy traditional reading and writing better when it comes to educational purposes. As always I am open to new things and i'm excited to try blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not have any concerns with blogging, I am only a little worried about what sort of people will read it. I tend to take other people's criticism very seriously, so I might have a hard time with suggestions from others. Other than that I don't feel like I have any concerns

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only thing I am concerned is that I've never blogged before so I honestly have no idea what I'm suppose to do, but I'm sure you will be sure to teach me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a little nervous about blogging just because i haven't done it before but i think this will be an easier way to communicate and voice my opinion, so i'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My greatest concern about blogging would be the fact that anyone can see it and can say what they want to about it so I'm worried about being attacked for my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honestly, because I have been doing this whole Blogger thing since last year I don't really have any concerns as of right now. I suppose one of the ones I remember having back when I first started was that I didn't really want people to read my stuff because I could have potentially messed something up, and looked foolish. Currently a problem I'm dealing with while blogging is that I have difficulty being concise and to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My only concern is that I'm not a big fan with sharing what I write with other people. I just don't like that people will actually be reading my thoughts. I'm also not much of a blogger, or writer for that matter, so this is going to be a new experience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't really have any concerns other than the fact that I have never blogged before in my life. I think this is a different way of communication in the classroom, but I think I like it. This way everyone gets a chance to be heard. I can't wait to become a blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My biggest concern about blogging is not creating a good, interesting one that will attract the attentions of others. Also, I have never blogged before so I'm not sure how to create a good blog. However, I think its a really cool idea to use for class and think it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't have any concerns for blogging in class. I think it's a great way to learn and to see how other people share their things as I share my own things. I have a separate blog so I'm used to the whole blog world. If I had to have a concern though, I guess it would be just that I get self-conscious when others read my writing. Other than that I believe it'll be a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually don't have any concerns about blogging! I've been using tumblr, which is different than blogger a bit, but still the same idea, for over 2 years now. I guess the only thing I'm worried about is what I post about not being interesting to people.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is my second time blogging as I have done it a bit in History. My only concern for blogging would be putting what I think down in words. Sometimes I think of a lot more complicated things but I don't know how to express them in words. I hope this and other classes will help me overcome this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think my biggest concern would be that I have never blogged before. I'm not sure how to set it up or use it really. I'm pretty open-minded about it though. It seems like a great way to communicate and express your opinion. I think it'll come quickly for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do not have many concerns about starting to use Blogger. I enjoy using other similar websites and am quite good at it, so I am pretty worry-free. The only thing I am slightly anxious about is putting my writing and thoughts out for everyone to see and react to. This seems to be a common worry among others. Overall, I am looking forward to using Blogger as I'm sure it will be an interesting and educational experience.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am not plagued by any particularly pressing issues regarding blogging. However, I do prefer traditional methods of learning, such as through books and pencil on paper, so it may take some time for me to adjust to a way of learning that is different than what I am used to.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My biggest concern about blogging is that I have never created or used a blog before. Also I am not sure if a ton of people would read my blog because i'm so new to it. So this is a new experience for me, but i'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My biggest concern on blogging is that I've never blogged before and that anyone can see what I've blogged. I feel a lack of privacy but maybe i'm just over thinking it. I'm looking forward to the new experience.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have few concerns with blogging. However, what I do worry about with blogging is that I have never used a blog before. So I am not exactly sure how things are supposed to work. Also, my other concern is who I may blog with. The absence of privacy makes me a little nervous, but I know I will enjoy it by the end of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My biggest concern is not having the writing skills to get my opinion across the way I want it to be perceived, and being comfortable sharing my thoughts with other people.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I do not have any concerns about making and using a blog for this class. I used to use another site for blogging quite often, so I do have experience with using one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I do not have any worries about blogging I have use this program a few times. But how do I make things interesting to others.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Although I think I prefer traditional classroom ways, I am intrigued by the "newer" way of communicating in class. I've never used a blog to express my ideas in class, I am looking forward to seeing how it works out. I do not have any pressing issues on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have no worries when it comes to blogging, because I have done many times it in the past. Blogging is a great way to communicate and converse, and I hope we use this blog frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have no worries about blogging. However, I've never done it before so it will be an interesting and new experience!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I don't have too many concerns like a lot of other people this will be my first time blogging, I've heard quite a lot about it and I am looking forward to it. Sounds exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I dont have any concerns. I constantly use tumble which is basically the same thing

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have never had an active blog before, where I post regularly. I don't have any questions or concerns. I am excited to learn from other people as well as myself who will share what they have gathered throughout this course. Blogging is similar to social media, shouldn't it make learning more enjoyable?

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really dont have any concerns about blogging. I dont think it should be a problem for me. Getting my idea's out there is something thats sounds interesting to me.... probably not so much to others.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I do not believe that I will have any problems, I am a pretty good writer most of the time. I am very open minded. But the only "real" downside is, I have never blogged before, I hope to have some help getting the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that the world can see it and can say what they want about it so my thoughts will be scrutinized.

    ReplyDelete
  38. The only concern I have with blogging is that it is not something I am familiar with so it will be a new way of getting ideas out.

    ReplyDelete
  39. i dont have any concerns about blogging. i just want to get the most out of it and start blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  40. My main concerns for blogging is not enjoying it enough... I don't know if i will be entertained since i enjoy old school reading and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The only concern I have with blogging is that I have never had a blog. Other than that I just want to start blogging and get a lot out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I don't really have any concerns for blogging, other than never doing it before and not knowing what to do exactly. I'm sure that I would be able to get it quickly.


    ReplyDelete
  43. I personally don't have concerns with blogging, I support the idea and I feel it can make the class more social and understanding.

    ReplyDelete